Tuesday, September 18, 2012

This shirt needs more fedora....

As I've said before, I hate taking pictures for this blog, but using my "judy" isn't as fun because the tops I make look weird on it. I decided that my shirt needed more Fedora.
I started this shirt about 2 years ago, but then I got preggers and stopped working on it.

The  material itself is really thick/heavy, and super stretchy, so it took a few tries of taking it in to get it just right, The shoulders are supposed to have pleats throughout the sleeve I said "screw that" and just did one big pleat at the top shoulder seam.

I might make this top again but next time I will use a lighter-weight material, and figure out a way to just omit the pleats from the shoulder.

This was the pattern I used Simplicity 2283, view C (can't post a picture because it won't let me save it, boooo)

Friday, September 14, 2012

Colour Block tank top (Rickis knockoff)

spliced tank
I found this top yesterday off of http://www.rickis.com/by-category/tops/spliced-tank/prod1069ED76484.html and immediately thought "yea I can make that", so I did.

I found a tank top pattern in my stash that I liked, traced it, and cut it into 5 pieces.  I made sure to add a seam allowance to all pieces and I labeled them to make sure I put them back together correctly.
This is one of The easier shirts I have made, and I am really proud of how it turned out.  I plan on making another one, in different colours.

I might retrace the pattern and make the cut-outs smaller, but either way, I will be wearing this one, possibly a lot.

Star Shirt, Cut out Back

I have been busy sewing, that is why I haven't been busy blogging, I am going to post 2 different tops I've actually finished sewing and I've worn out in public (not just in the house)

I had a very minimal amount of this fabric left so I had to improvise.  I cut out as much as I could of the fabric and then use black and white fabric to compensate for the sleeves and the bottom band.

The top that I was used as a pattern was one that I loved but it just didn't fit right (too tight, and too short), I traced the top and used it as a draft pattern..

Monday, September 3, 2012

Win/Lose, Fail/Success

I had about 10 white leftover from Superman that I planned on using for Gem, but I decided that I didn't want them to be white anymore (well they were already yellow and gross anyway).  I have been aching to tie-dye for week and weeks and finally got around to it.  I bought a bunch of Dollar store buckets and started mixing colours.  Little did I realise that Every colour was going to come out the same shade of Blue or Green.  The only "win" in this sitation was my purple/red combo I threw together.  At first it was mostly red, and the red for some reason came out all gloopy and didn't mix well.  Then I threw in more purple and avoided disaster.

The white onesie is the "before" shot.
  The purple tie-dyed onesies was supposed to be blue, but it looked awful, I threw it into the red/purple mix and it came out great.  Another thing I learned was - do NOT take off the elastics until you have rinsed everything in the washing machine.  All my colours ran together and made the tie-dyed look terrible.

Also, two of the onesies are the same colour, one was supposed to be ombre dyed, but again, that didn't work out.

Maybe I will try again later.

Owl Cards

Though this is not technically a sewing project it was something I made so I found it suitable to show on my blog!

I have been searching for birthday invites for Gems first birthday and shutterfly as well as others are going to cost $40+ for 20 invites.  I thought her picture on the invite would be cute, but then I realised that once my friends are done with the invites they might just toss them in the trash.  I don't want pictures and the address of Gem floating around in the world of trash so I decided to make them.

I found this blog post Owl Invitations and since this blogger so nicely included the template I decided that these invites would be the perfect ones for Gem.  I also have a ton of scrapbooking paper (I don't scrapbook, and yet people buy it for me) so the only money I put out for these invites were for the googly eyes and the envelopes to send them in.

Ok, sorry for the long spiel, here are the cards (they are all different)
I wasn't sure how I felt about a patterned bird and patterned body, but I am happy with how they turned out, now I can get them addressed and send them out.