Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Butterick 5497

Before I actually bought this pattern, I kept hesitating on it.  I would pick it up, have it in my cart and then put it back.  I really didnt think it would look good after being sewn up, finally one day I decided to bite the bullet and buy it because it was on sale.
I also googled it to see other peoples versions of the patterns and they all looked awesome so I figured I would give it a shot.

 The top is loose but the gathering looks nice and is quite flattering.  I cant wait to actually wear it out somewhere.
I loved the back of this shirt, I will have to wear it with a tank top as the low back shows off bras.

I used some spare black material I had, I wanted to make sure that I actually liked the style before I tried making it with some of my good fabric.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Finished Colour Block Shirt (with sleeves)

I know the pictures to this are sort of terrible, but since losing my "sewing area" and now sharing it with my hubbys office, it's cramed quarters, and nowhere to take pictures. So here it goes.

Here is the front section cut out but not sewn together.  I decided to put my purple colour in the middle to break up the blue/green I had going on
 Here is the top sewn together (but not pressed).  At this point it was that I realised that I made a good choice in the colour scheme (and happy I had to use brown instead of navy blue material). 

 Next I cut out sleeves.  I sort of "franken-patterned" this top.  I dug into my pattern stash and grabbed the first one that I saw had sleeves I had sewn before. Simplicity 4076 (which is apparently still in print)

I cut out the back and the sleeve at the same time.

 Sewed the shoulders together
 Then sewed on the sleeves (after that I forgot to take pictures).  I sewed up the side seams, and hemmed the bottom of the shirt with a twin needle.

I ended up cutting out bands to go around the sleeves because they weren't long enough, as well as making a make-shift neckband for the collar of my shirt. It doesn't look "perfect" on the dummy, but I am really happy with how it turned out.  however I really do need to get my serger in to be looked at, it's not running like it should be.