Saturday, November 28, 2015

The dress that almost wasn't, but then was.

This starts out as a happy tale, that gets sad, and then happy again.
So My hubby tells me we are invited to a Margarita Ball, which was an invite only-black tie event. I have never been, but my first thought was "crap now I have to get dolled up". I immediately went pattern shopping and gave myself a few to choose from. Well Halloween rolled around so I couldn't start the dress until after that, but eventually I chose simplicity 1415. I picked view B, but did it without sleeves, and chose a stretchy blue taffeta with a navy blue chiffon overlay. I measured myself and cut out the right size...or so I thought. All through the sewing I would try the dress on, but because the zipper wasn't in yet, I couldn't tell how much the dress wasn't actually fitting. I finally get to that last step and lo and behold, it won't zip, it's too tight. I sat on the couched and sulked for the rest of the night, and immediately took it apart.
I bought another dress the next day, so I had a back up. I had 3 days before this ball and I had some determination, I took the skirt off the bodice, and unpicked the seams halfway up (and down on the skirt). I took out the pleats and the darts, and started to rebuild. Luckily I left a seam allowance and this is where I got lucky. I sewed about 1/4 of an inch (pretty much where the serger had stitched), and left the darts of the bodice. I also turned the pleats into gathers (pleats made my ass look bigger than it needed to). I sewed it back together, and put the zipper in, and holy shit, it fit.
I made the bow to hide the mess of the gathers at the waist, and then I was done.
I was able to wear it AND return the other dress (so, money saved there I guess!). Besides, I saw 2 other lovely ladies wearing the same dress, so I guess I was lucky there.

Anyway, here is the dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment